Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Simple vs. Complicated Patterns

     I am a pretty simple person by nature.  I like my percolated coffee in the morning, my garden, my yarn, hooks and needles.  And simple is the way I like my needlecraft.  Some people look forward to the challenge of a new, complicated pattern.  For someone with ADD (no, I'm not joking about that, lol), complicated is the equivalent to taking a kid to a toy store and saying "pick one".  It seriously messes with my mind.  Not that I don't envy those of you out there that make these beautiful pieces.  (Green is not a good color for me) But simple and uncomplicated is the way to go for me.

     Sometimes simple is the right thing to do, though.  Those of you who are experienced with selecting fibers for projects know this.  You can buy a beautiful art yarn or variegated yarn and the effect can be ruined by an overly complicated and textured pattern.  It is important when choosing yarn for projects (or as I do it- choosing projects for yarn) that you listen to the fiber itself and pay attention to what it is telling you.  (Now obviously if your yarn is actually speaking to you , you may need more than yarn therapy can provide).  There is such a thing as having too much going on in a piece; texture combined with a complicated stitch pattern, multiple colors... it is too much for the mind to process all at once.  A single color may scream out for more of a textured stitch but even these can look quite lovely in a simple garter or stockinette.  Especially when you may spend close to $20 a skein, you want to make sure that you choose the right pattern that will showcase the fibers you have purchased.  This is a good reason to get an opinion on your pattern and yarn.  It is also an important reason to shop your local yarn store every once in a while as well.  These stores are full of people who know their stuff and are eager to help.  You can also join a group online (I would recommend the Yarn Therapy Group on FaceBook located on the sidebar, but that is just me) where you are able to get opinions from others who are just as interested in your craft as you are. 

     While I usually keep it simple all the time, remember to keep it simple some of the time.  Your yarn and your hard work will thank you :D

2 comments:

  1. Great article! thank you for reminding me to back off my UFO's and try to focus on the simple, yet very pretty, patterns out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean - this is why I love knitting socks. I almost know the pattern off by heart now, and that makes it really relaxing as I am not fighting to get it right, and also a simple sock is a good way to show off a really beautiful hand dyed yarn.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete